In order to give you a better idea of the information in the book the following items are available on line:
Yorkshire CD books
Old and rare Yorkshire books on CDrom or as pdf file downloads
by Walter Kaye
CD ROM and
Note that a download will be set up manually and therefore will not be instant.
produced by Yorkshire CD books ©
The Price for the CDrom is post paid to your door only if in the U.K.
We no longer post CDroms abroad due to the high cost (over £4)
Please request a download if you are outside the U.K.
For sample pages, please see the links to the Acrobat (pdf) files given below.
on this CD rom/
downloadable pdf is computer searchable.
The above Acrobat file was extracted from the CDrom and shows the quality of the images. You will need at least version 5 of Acrobat to open this file. If you do not have an up to date version please go to the Adobe web-site to obtain a free version of Acrobat Reader.
The contents of the book are as follows:
- The Pro-Reformation Chantry, St. John's Chapel and Christ
- List of Chaplains, Incumbents and Organists ;
- Pannal Church-Incumbents and, Accounts ;
- Bells ;
- Briefs ;
- Notes on the Appendices ;
- Early History of Harrogate Waters ;
- Who discovered the Tewit Well ;
- Harrogate (Christ Church) Parish Registers (1748-1812)
- Index of Names, Places, and Other Matters ..
- Harrogate and Bilton Entries in Knaresborough Registers (1587-1751)
- Extracts from Knaresborough Registers (1560-1753)
- Addenda to Christ Church Registers
- Harrogate Parish Accounts ;
- Description of Registers ;
- Foundation of St. John's Chapel, 1743;
- Terriers of Harrogate Chapel ;
- Commission to Lord Loughborough ;
- References in the Diocesan Registry, Chester ;
- Harrogate Inscriptions at Knaresborough ;
- Longevity in the Parish ;
- Correction to tho Register ;
- Letter from Sir William Slingsby, 1594;
- Extracts from Knaresborough Parish Accounts ;
- Letters from the Rev. R. Mitton;
- Letter from the Rev. A. Cheap;
- Extracts from Pannal Parish Accounts (c. 1660-1750)
- I., Local Names, temp. Edw. III., 1332-1367;
- II., Early instances of the Name Harrogate, 1332-1627;
- III., Local landowners and householders, c. 1475;
- IV., Unlawful Hunting in Knaresborough Forest, 1482;
- V., Muster Rolls, 1523, 1534, 1538, 1568;
- VI., Survey of Knaresborough Forest, 1561;
- VII., Hearth Tax, 1676;
- VIII., Indictments at Quarter Sessions, 1637-1761;
- IX., Local Recusants, 1674-8;
- X., Roll of Excuses for not serving the King in France, c.
- XI., Extracts from Parish Accounts of Clint (1647-1729)
- List of Subscribers
A short review by Elaine Pickard:
"Names & More Names"......
The CD "Harrogate Records 1560-1812" by Walter Kaye
(1923) that Colin Hinson has released, is a much needed addition
to the supply of records for both the family historian and local
Though Harrogate is believed to be a "NEW" town it
is amazing to read that there is mention of it as far back as
The extracts from the PR's of both Christ Church, Harrogate
(1758) & Knaresborough (1560) will thrill family historians.
The Pannal Parish Extracts give many names of presumed local people
which will be of interest to Pannal researchers.
If you would prefer the real book(s), please contact The Idle Booksellers through their website.
Page last updated at 11.25 on Wednesday, 03 February 2021, ©2010
(This page will not be updated again unless the information on it is found to be incorrect).
For the latest update date for the site, please see our Home Page.